Collected Writings of Lorna Salzman
Lorna's new book, Politics as if Evolution Mattered: Darwin, Ecology and Social Justice is now available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook formats from the following online retailers:
Introduction (free preview)
You can also purchase an inscribed copy directly from the author by emailing .
Lorna has been writing for Snickersnee (www.neoenigma.blogspot.com), a blog committed to informed political analysis, sound argumentation, and clear writing.
- Book Reviews
- Culture, Politics and Foreign Policy
- Ecology & Environment
- Genetic Engineering
- Global Warming
- Islam, Religion and Secularism
- Natural History
- Nuclear Power
- Radioactive Waste
- Science & Public Policy
- Other Writings of Lorna Salzman
- Biodiversity & Biotechnology
Expanded written version of Earth Day 2000 talk presented to the US Club of Rome, on the ecological, evolutionary and genetic threats presented by genetic engineering, especially transgenics.
- Viewpoint - Diversity Crisis
Why it is imperative that we preserve biodiversity.
Book Reviews (top)
- Commentary on Malise Ruthven's NY Review of Books Article: The Contextualization of Radical Islam
- Paul Berman, The Flight of the Intellectuals
- Matthias Kuntzel, Jihad and Jew-Hatred: Islamism, Nazism and the Roots of 9/11
- Pascal Bruckner, The Tyranny of Guilt
- Tim Ferris, The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature
- John B. Foster, Marx' Ecology and the Ecological Revolution
- Fred C. Shapiro, Radwaste
- Nordhaus & Shellenberger, Break Through: From the Death of Environmentalism to the Politics of Possibility
- Brian Tokar, Earth for Sale: Reclaiming Ecology in the Age of Corporate Greenwash (South End Press, 1997)
- Bernard-Henri Levy, Left in Dark Times
- A Critique of the Shellenberger-Nordhaus report, The Death of Environmentalism
Culture, Politics and Foreign Policy (top)
- Democrats: Electorate Unheeded, Lessons Unlearned
- Free Trade Debate: Giving Credit Where It Is Due
- Eu Moves Toward Authoritarianism
- The Greatest Threat to Civilization is Loss of Free Speech
- The New Plutocracy: How Democrats Betrayed Their Origins
- Social Justice Warriors' War Against the Enlightenment
- Mass Humanitarianism is Suicide, Not Altruism
- The Left's Gospel: Humans Own the World
- State Sovereignty, Human Rights and the Responsibility to Protect
- "Environmental Racism" Divides and Diverts Activists
- The Post-Racial Society Recedes Further
- Jews Behaving Like Muslims
- Are We Fighting the Trees Instead of the Forest?
- Beyond Tribalism: Why Democracy and Equality Need Nation-State Protection
- The Useful Idiocy of Noam Chomsky and His Followers
- The Three Greatest Threats to Freedom, Civilization and Survival
- Greens and the Left Abandon Climate Change Issue
- The Tea Party and the Left: Separated at Birth?
- Liberals are the Main Obstacle to a Real Left
- Gullible Americans and the Collapse of Democracy
- The Illegal Basis for U.S. Green Party Pro-Islamist Policies
- The Obamavore's Dilemma
- Europe Lurches Right — With the Left's Help
- Creating a Movement for Ecological Sanity
- Why I Am Not a Socialist
- Green Jobs and Growth: A Green Society Comes First
- Global Warming: The Environmentalists Who Won't Talk Straight
- When will the Blacks Join the Greens?
- The Intellectual Influences and Conflicts in the US Green Party
- Latin Leftist Governments: Red on the Inside and Outside
- The Gangs that Couldn't Think Straight
- An Antidote to Dysfunctional Progressivism
- Stalinism is Alive and Well and Living in the United States
- The American Left's Love Affair with Defeat
- "Facts, Inferences, and Shameless Speculations"
- A History of the Green Movement in the US
- Thinking outside the box and beyond next week
- Ecology and Politics in the United States
American attitudes towards the environment.
- Ecology and the Right Question
How to develop an environmental politics in the US.
- Ecology and Social Change: Who Will Ask the Right Questions?
What kind of self-analysis does the Green movement need?
- Unwise Use
How corporate interests manipulate the press in order to discredit environmentalism.
- NRDC: Eco-logic or Eco-sell-out?
A critique, with case studies, of Natural Resources Defense Council, a prominent national environmental organization, and how its secretive negotiations with corporations and developers in the US and abroad betray its mission and the public trust.
- Politics As If Evolution Mattered: Some Thoughts on Deep and Social Ecology
A response to social ecologist Murray Bookchin and his acolytes.
- The American Green Movement: Challenges and Opportunities
How Greens need to define themselves and their objectives.
- Lorna Salzman - New York resident, regional representative...
The political insufficiency of some American environmental groups.
- Environmental Sell-out
How grassroots environmental groups must struggle for funding and recognition against wealthy entrenched Washington-based groups.
- The decline and fall of Friends of the Earth in the United States
An insider reveals the full story about how a leading national environmental group was destroyed from within by its Board, management and Washington DC staff.
- Is the Left-Green Network Really Green?
A response to some Left Greens who share many capitalist views.
- Paleoliberals and the Satanic Nader
- The Untold Story of Cadman Plaza
- Ecology vs. Social Justice: A Contrived Conflict
Ecology & Environment (top)
- The Essay Jonathan Franzen Should Have Written
- Ecuador: China's Newest Client State
- Planetary Report Card: Failing
- The American Left's Next and Last Opportunity
- Saving the Earth: Are there Grounds for Optimism?
- Ending Poverty: A Great Idea Whose Time Will Never Come
- The 21st century may witness the birth of a new Ellis Island
- Nature Comes First; Nature Bats Last
A dialogue within the informal Ecology Committee of the US Green Party has been taking place which centers around economic theory and how it could be made to account for nature, the commons and the concept of equity.
Redefining Urban Coastal Zones for Integration into Upland Ecosystems
Mud Turtle — John Yrizarry
- What Are the Legitimate Claims of the South?
A response to a discussion in Focus on Trade about globalization, social injustice and poverty in less developed countries, arguing for agreement on ecological principles and rejection of the traditional economic growth model.
- Extirpated & Endangered Flora & Fauna of the Lower Hudson Estuary
A comprehensive list of species and their status, prepared for the NYC Dept. of Environmental Protection and the NY-NJ Harbor Estuary Program.
- Ecology & Social Change
New Politics, vol. vi #3, summer 1997
- Economics Is Ecology
Human systems must be modelled on natural systems in order to be sustainable.
- Conservation in Sarawak
Critical response to a scientist who overlooks oppression of indigenous people in Sarawak.
- Dear Paul
A response to Paul Kerlinger, a birder and author, who posted a letter to the Conservation Through Birding list serve.
- No One Has the Solution to the Energy Crisis
- Green Jobs Now Ignores the Need for Immediate Large Cuts in Energy Use
- Carbon Taxes for Skeptics
- Whatever Happened to the Energy Crisis? (And Other Embarrassing Questions)
How Americans have turned their back on the energy crisis since the early 1970s.
- Energy Modes: Towards a Harmony of the Biosphere
How energy policy shapes our society.
- Renewable energy: the Good, the Bad, the Unnecessary and the Mythical
How politics has prevented a sane US energy policy.
- Political Climate Change: Why We Need Carbon Taxes
- Politics as if Evolution Mattered
- Why Science and Religion Are Incompatible
- Will the Human Species Disappear?
- Evolution: The Answer to All Questions
- Who's afraid of Charles Darwin?
- Darkness in Academia: The Shadow of Stalin
Genetic Engineering (top)
- Skepticism Checks Its Coat at the Door of Science
How the new secularists and skeptics do Monsanto's dirty work
- Comments on proposed Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) Regulation for Australia
- Docket 99N-4282: GE and GMO Foods and FDA Regulation
- History of FOE Lawsuit on DNA
Global Warming (top)
- Pastor Bill McKibben: Make Noise & Money, Not War
- An Open Letter to Bill McKibben
- Rampaging Climate Deniers Losing Battle
- Compassionate Capitalism: Ecocide With a Smiley Face
- The Carbon Trading Con Game
- Global Warming: The Great Evasion
- Upgraded Turkish Prison Quality Praised by New Inmate
- God Invented Slavery; Faces Prospect of Impeachment
- Thank You Donald
- “Defense of Freedom is a Defense of White Privilege”
- Our Trip To Gardiner's Island
- Chimp is not a Mensch, Says Court Panel
- Jewish Pagan Revealed as Prophet of Goddess Athena
- Haqqani Media Network Attacks Film
- Why the USA is a Helluva Country
- What I Wore
- iPhone and Blackberries Are Declared Sharia-Compliant
- Racial Gap in NYC Schools' Achievement Still Wide
- Taliban: The Movie
- New Surgical Procedure Reconfigures Brain
- EPA Might Regulate Point Sources of Methane
- The Politically Correct James Bond
- Hamas and the Un Demand the Right to Proportional Killing
- Republican Party Touts 'Big Tent', Seeks Inclusive Party of Bigots, Religious Fanatics and Illiterates
- Congress Bows to Catholics
- Green Party Dissidents Announce New Party for the Poor, Homeless and Unemployed; Say Old Green Party Membership is Bourgeois, Insufficiently Impoverished and Disempowered
- Ahmadinejad says America has Nothing to Fear; Stresses Islamic Honor Code
- Grave Competition from China
- The Flying Imams
- Creationists Are Space Aliens
A new theory, published in the Journal of Mensonges Modernes, proposes that creationists and proponents of "intelligent design" are actually space aliens that landed on the earth in the early 20th century, intent on overturning modern science and the Enlightenment.
- Zionist Infiltrate
- Mythical gods and cannibalism persist in 21st century north american tribes
- La France, c'est le troisieme ordre
French in Suicidal Depression over Attacks from US Allies
- Cancer Kills Unemployment
A satirical look at the effect of pollution prevention.
- How to Become a Naturist...errr Naturalist
Humorous look at getting out of the house and into Nature.
- Fujiyama Mama
A satirical comment on Palestinian child suicide bombers.
- Ask Miss Conduct
A guide to Green ethics.
- A Lexicon of Mild Ethnic Invective
- March 14, 2002, New York Times, p. 1: "Florida town Finds Satan An Offense Unto It"
Now available! A new cleaning and healing service for those individuals and towns infested by Satan.
- Hopi Indian Tribes File Lawsuit Charging Art Dealers With Homicide
Islam, Religion and Secularism (top)
- Why Won't Pamela Geller Behave?
- When Sharia Law Comes to the USA
- Why Islam is the Problem
- Can Islamism be Distinguished from Islam?
- American Jews: Dhimmis or Dummies?
- The Flight of Benjamin Barber
- We Are the Good Jews, Not the Bad Jews
- The Silence of the Lambs: Kristof and Buruma Put Women in Their Place
- The Honor Roll of Freethinkers and Defenders of Human Rights
- The Islamist Destabilization of Our Universities
- Hall of Shame: Islamist Apologists
- Self Censorship Rears Its Ugly Head in the USA
- Stealth Jihad and the Threat to Democracy
- Which liberals is Chomsky referring to?
- Leftists Critique the Left
- The Phony Debate on "Proportionality"
- Arabs and the Left: The Neo-Nazi Campaign to Eradicate the Jews
- The American Left and its Fascist Doctrines
- Left in Dark Times
- Are you an Islamophobe?
- End of the Age of Enlightenment
- The Hijacking of the World Social Forum
- American liberal Jews' Jesus syndrome
- If Israel were not a Jewish state
- Y Tu Mama Tambien, Buruma
- The U.S. Green Party Embraces Islamism
- Religious Pluralism Requires Secular Democracy
- Refuting the Myth of Moslem Victimization: Why American Moslems Need to Support Secular Democracy
- Apartheid and Slavery Are Still With Us
- Broadening our response to radical islamism
- The Unbelievers
Natural History (top)
- Assertiveness Training for Women Birders
Some people still think birding is a backyard hobby of little old ladies in tennis sneakers. In fact it has become a highly competitive contact sport for macho types, who vastly outnumber females in the field.
- When Is a Garden a Garden?
The importance of planting native species in gardens.
Nuclear Power (top)
- James Hansen: Right on climate, Wrong on Nukes
- Pro-Nuclear Propaganda: How Science, Government and the Press Conspire to Misinform the Public
Presentation to Hunter College Energy Studies program on the suppression of the truth about nuclear power.
- Nuclear Power: Dictator of our Political Future
The implications of nuclear power for democracy and liberty.
- Nuclear Power: The driving force behind nuclear weapons
How nuclear power and nuclear weapons are inextricably linked.
- Non-Nuclear America
An overview of the early US anti-nuclear amovement.
- Nuclear Cover-up — Censorship in USA?
How the US government stacks the deck against citizens in nuclear reactor licensing and hides the truth about the inherent dangers of nuclear power.
- Covering Up an Ill Wind From China
How the US government lied about the effect of a Chinese nuclear test in the early 1970s.
- Risk Assessment and Other Black Magic - The Pursuit and Defense of the Pernicious
How the nuclear scientists have deliberately clouded and manipulated the nuclear power debate.
- The Washington Syndrome
The facts about low level ionizing radiation and how our government and nuclear industry deny them.
Radioactive Waste (top)
- The Five Thousand Centuries of Nuclear Garbage
Why the radioactive waste problem will never be resolved.
- Wasting Away - Radioactive waste disposal is the Achilles Heel of the nuclear industry
The ongoing saga of radioactive waste.
- Bad Solutions to Radioactive Pollution
A look at the radioactive waste crisis.
- A Commentary on the Technology of Processing and Preserving Foods by Exposure to Ionizing Radiation
Prepared for New Jersey Assembly on behalf of Food & Water Inc. March 20, 1987. Co-author: Dr. Judith Johnsrud.
Science & Public Policy (top)
- The Conspiracy of Left and Right to Discredit Science
- The New Battle: Resisting the Anthropocene
- Guha's Diatribe
Response to a critic who disparages the notion that biodiversity is diminishing and who scoffs at the need for modern science in protecting indigenous societies.
- Scientists and Advocacy
Urges scientists to become environmental advocates.
- The Anthropocene and the New Lysenkoism